How Retargeting Works And Why You Need It
The rate of conversion is a piece of data that can help determine the success of your marketing efforts. Statistics say that 2% of all online shoppers convert when they first visit the website. So, what happens to the other 98% of customers who were interested enough to visit your online store but not invested enough to convert? That’s where retargeting comes in. Keep reading to find out more about how you can turn your online “window-shoppers” into paying customers.
What Is Retargeting?
Retargeting, or remarketing, is an online advertising strategy that keeps track of the people who have visited your site previously and marks them as a target audience for advertising. When they visit another website that runs ads, a retargeting strategy will display your advertisements to them to keep you in the front of their mind. This means the next time they are considering purchasing a product like the one you’re selling; they are more likely to remember your online store.
So, How Does It Work?
Why Retargeting Is So Effective
The key point to the effectiveness of retargeting is that you are focusing your advertising efforts on consumers who have demonstrated an interest in your products recently and are relatively familiar with your brand. When a previous “window shopper” sees your ads popping up on other websites, that kind of repeated exposure leads to increased rates of conversion and exceptional click-through rates that lead consumers right to your store.
There are things to keep in mind when creating a retargeting strategy for your business. First, retargeting works best when paired with another strong marketing strategy. While retargeting can increase your rates of conversion, it doesn’t technically drive people to your site. So, it will be most effective when used with strategies like inbound and outbound link marketing.
You can also increase your retargeting effectiveness if you tailor your retargeting ads to different groups of people that visited your online store. For example, if you sell clothing, shoes, and accessories then match your ads to what a visitor looked at. If they were browsing your tops, the next website they visit could have a retargeting ad placed that advertises one or more of the tops you sell on your site. Same with any other product in this example, or any product from a variety of online stores. And, any exceptional advertising for retargeting should include a distinct call to action that draws in a consumer, or a promotional ad that advertises an offer.
Have you used retargeting advertising as a marketing strategy? Have you found an advertising strategy that pairs best with retargeting? Leave a comment and tell us about your experience and thoughts!